Children aged 11 to 17 are invited to join Magic Dirt Trailworx in constructing mountain bike trails in a local reserve, learning how to manage the safety and environmental risks from professionals.
What to bring/wear: Enclosed shoes, hat, water bottle and sunscreen. Optional to bring your bike, helmet, gloves and a shovel or rake.
What is provided: Lunch and refreshments.
Age: 11 to 17 year olds.
RSVP: [email protected] or 9780 5218 by Friday 23 December 2022.
This workshop is for 11 to 17 year olds, for all abilities and genders. Limited places so get in quick!
The Shire has approved a mountain bike skills area in Public Recreation Reserve 48184, on the Corner of Bottlebrush Drive and Leschenaultia Drive, Brookfield on a twelve-month trial basis from January 2023.
Given the significant level of building and use of trails in the Reserve and its semi-degraded state, the Shire will trial an approach of allowing trail use to continue, while managing the environmental and safety risks. Those participating in the workshop will work on the following features:
- Marking out of a 0.25 hectare formal mountain bike skills area within the existing trail area in Reserve 48184.
- Using natural features such as rocks and logs as a border to distinguish between the trail use area and the remaining native bushland.
- Repairing, remediating, and re-working already established trails and jumps to provide a small network of trails for all abilities that meet Australian Mountain Bike Trail safety standards.
- Undertaking increased reserve inspections and maintenance of trails.
- Implementing conservation work within the bushland portion of the reserve to improve biodiversity values, including weed control and revegetation.
Find out more about the Brookfield Mountain Bike Trail Workshop or Brookfield Mountain Bike Trail twelve-month trial.