Support for General Practitioners
GPs have an important role in supporting those impacted by bushfire disasters, both in the immediate and longer term.
General Practitioners have an important role in supporting those impacted by the bushfires, both in the immediate and longer term. Most people recover from the impact of disasters, but most of those who do seek help, initially present to their GP. We also recognise that working in disaster-impacted communities can be personally and professionally challenging, as well as mentally and physically exhausting, so self-care is also a priority.
Phoenix Australia has developed resources to support GPs working within bushfire-affected communities which include:
GP Checklist – a checklist of practical tips to help address the challenges of working in a disaster-impacted community and
GP Guide – a guide for GPs supporting bushfire affected Australians.
A complete list of GPs in our community can be found here (link to GP lists).
Other useful links
You can find additional information on a range of issues below:
- Get immediate, free and confidential support
- National help lines and websites
- Information for families about childcare services
- Mental health support for bushfire-affected communities
- How to deal with traumatic stress
- PTSD: signs, symptoms and available treatments
- Mental health and personal safety in the face of the bushfire crisis