When to get help

There are some legal problems that you might be able to handle yourself, and then there are times when you might need a bit of guidance and help. 

There are ways to get legal advice before you decide if you need to hire a lawyer to help with your problem.  Below is a list of ways you can obtain this advice.  If you need to engage a private lawyer, use the resources available before spending any money to make sure you get the most appropriate form of help.

Community legal

South West Community Legal Centreoutreach to Margaret River
Preliminary advice and assistance on a wide range of issues including family law, violence restraining orders, child support, debt consumer issues and other civil law.
Cost: Free or low cost
Phone: 1800 999 727
Hours: Monday to Thursday from 9 AM to 4 PM

Citizens Advice Bureau – Busselton
Information and referral service, legal advice by appointment, WA no interest loans – by appointment, Tax help July to October
Phone: 9751 1199
Email: [email protected]
Hours: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 10 AM to 1 PM

Family Relationships Advice Line – outreach to Margaret River
Can help you with free legal advice and information about services available to assist you with family relationship issues including information relating to family law proceedings
Other Relationships Australia services include family mediation and dispute resolution, counselling. 
Phone: 1800 050 321

Women’s legal service WA
Phone: 1800 625 122
Hours: Monday to Friday from 9 AM to 4:30 PM

Legal Aid Western Australia
Legal and social support service.
Cost: Free or low cost
Phone: 1300 650 579
Hours: Monday to Friday from 9 AM to 4PM

Aboriginal Legal Services of WA
Phone: 1800 019 900

Advocacy WA – outreach to Margaret River
Assists and support people with disabilities in the areas of Justice, Housing, Health, Carers, Financial (DSP) and National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
Phone: 9721 6444
Email: [email protected]

Tips for hiring a private lawyer